Playoffs Game 5: Pack Stave Off Elimination

The Wolf Pack scored twice in five seconds to defeat the Whalers 5-2 in game five. | Photo courtesy of David Stevens Photography.

Pod’s Svendson, Fortems score in loss

HARRY JEROME ARENA – After the White Rock Whalers delivered two overtime heartbreakers to the North Vancouver Wolf Pack, the Pack howled back Feb. 26.

North Van, the league’s top team, scored twice in five seconds and rolled to a 5-2 victory in the fifth quarter-final game. The Whalers now lead the series three games to two.

“We have to bear down in front of the net…to find the back of the net,” said Whaler Ewan Rennie.

Rennie was closely checked all night and was held off the scoresheet after scoring both the tying goal and sudden-death winner in game four.

Pack hunt for goals
On the first shift, the Whalers looked to have a golden start when Zac Sherwin used his powerful stride to shake off a defender for a breakaway. Sherwin’s shot went wide.

Chris Fortems eludes Wolf Pack defenders to bat home a rebound. | Photo courtesy of Alistair Burns, White Rock Whalers.

“If that goes in, it’s a different hockey game,” said White Rock head coach Jason Rogers. “But that’s life, I mean, that’s a playoff series. We didn’t expect to sweep – I don’t think either team expected to.”

The Wolf Pack brushed away a few shifts of intense White Rock forechecking. North Van replied when J.J. Pickell's snapshot flew over the shoulder of Whaler goalie Keegan Maddocks 30 seconds into a power play.

Five seconds later, Wolf Pack captain Alex Binette doubled the lead. And Devon Bailey added to White Rock's woes when his shot eluded Maddocks

"Big Goal" Cole Svendson notched his second of the postseason on the man advantage. | Photo courtesy of Alistair Burns, White Rock Whalers.

Pickell puts Pod in brine

Maddocks was pulled at the end of the first after he faced nine shots. In the second period, White Rock's backup goalie Adam Winters came in.

Rogers thought the Whalers showed a bit more jump and responded well. However, Pickell provided a rough welcome as he put home his second of the night for a commanding 4-0 lead.

The Whalers finally broke through when “Big Goal” Cole Svendson pushed a rebound past Wolf Pack Damian Perovic.

Chris Fortems was also able to solve Perovic via a rebound. A combination of poor penalties and Perovic’s brilliance stymied the Whalers as time ticked down.

Game six will be held in Centennial Arena on Monday, Feb. 28 at an earlier start time of 7 p.m.